Named after Saint Andrew the Apostle, the Royal Burgh of St Andrews is on the east coast of Scotland. It stands on the North Sea between Edinburgh and Dundee.
For hundreds of years the Cathedral of St Andrews, once Scotland's largest building, was the main religious hub and visited by many pilgrims. It was completed in 1318 during the reign of Robert the Bruce, but was sacked and became ruinous after the 1559 Reformation. All that remains now is much of the defensive priory wall with towers and gates.
St. Rule's tower in the cathedral grounds predates the cathedral. Originally, the tower was part of a church built circa 1127 to hold the relics of St. Andrew. St. Rule (St. Regulus) is credited with having brought the relics to the area. Today the tower commands a beautiful view of the town, harbour, sea and surrounding countryside.
St Andrews Castle, once the bishops' palace, is now a beautiful ruin in the Royal Burgh of St Andrews. During the Reformation, it became a centre of religious persecution and controversy. It served as a wretched prison and the bottle dungeon, a dank and airless pit, housed local miscreants. It is on a rocky promontory overlooking a small beach.
The city is home to Scotland's oldest university, the University of St Andrews. It was established in 1413 and is the third oldest in the English-speaking world. By the middle of the 16th century, the university had three colleges St Salvator's, St Leonard's and St Mary's. Between the 16th and 18th centuries, the university had mixed fortunes. St Salvator's and St Leonard's joined to form the United College, which still survives.
The university's history, personalities and teaching practices can be traced through the collections of documents, art, furniture, laboratory equipment and specimens that it has accumulated in its museum.
St Andrews is possibly best known as the home of golf. The Royal and Ancient Golf Club, founded in 1754, exercises legislative authority over the game. For over 600 years every change in the rules and every aspect of its tradition has been overseen by the St Andrews Club.
Its beautiful links, acquired by the town in 1894, is the most frequent venue for the Open Championship, oldest of golf's four majors.
In 1457, King James II tried to ban the playing of golf as his men were playing it more than they were practicing archery. He feared for the safety of his kingdom, but his attempts were unsuccessful and golf was the winner.
St Andrews was the first 18-hole course in the world. The turf of the course is sacred and it's every golfer's dream to play there. St Andrews is not, as most people believe, an exclusive course. It remains a public course, open to all players. Forty-two thousand rounds are played on it every year, so hopeful players need to book at least a year in advance. All is not lost, though, for those who have not booked. There is a daily ballot system, so you could be lucky.
1 ½ hours north-east of Glasgow.
ExciteHolidays.com has over 500 hotels in Scotland with rates starting at around $90 a night twin-share, including breakfast.
Emirates has flights to Glasgow.
- Melbourne, $1941
- Brisbane, $1942
- Perth, $1943
- Sydney, $1957
- Adelaide, $2446
- Darwin, $2553
On sale from Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth until December 15, 2006, and valid for travel between February 1-24, 2007.
On sale from Adelaide and Darwin until August 31, 2007. Travel validity dates apply.
Prices quoted are correct on October 26, 2006.
Ph: 1300 733 858
Fax: (02) 9599 3667
St Andrews Links Trust
Scotland KY16 9SF
Ph: +44 1334 466 666
St Andrews Links Golf Academy
Ph: + 44 1334 466 631
Scotland National Tourist Board
Ph: 44 1506 832 121
Ph: 1300 303 777