The mention of shopping in Melbourne can put a glint in the eye of most people. Melbourne's claim to be the fashion capital of Australia is worth checking out, and Go Shop Around Tours can make your dreams come true, while at the same time raising money for your organisation or group. Preschools, Starlight Foundation and Reach are the most popular benefactors.
Annette and Peter Maloney have been operating the tours for 17 years. They offer four tours which visit factory warehouses selling great brands. The warehouses aren't generally open to retail trade and you can pick up fantastic bargains with huge savings off recommended retail prices.
They are able to tailor a tour with more than 100 outlets available. Shop for sweets or stilettos and anything in between, and save up to 70 percent. Groups are given free raffle tickets and great prizes. For groups of more than 30 people there are more prizes, and there are extra bonuses for groups spending more than $6000.
Prices are set to a minimum so more money can be raised. Tour organisers receive 10 percent commission on the total amount spent by their group, regardless of the number of people involved.
The organiser is updated during the day on the balance of funds raised, and within seven days of the tour they receive a commission cheque, along with a breakdown of spending at each outlet. Non-fundraising tours are available at a lower cost. They don't include the commission or spending incentives.
Tour choices are:
- Shop 'Til You Drop. This is for hard-core shoppers, visiting 12-15 outlets and a stop for BYO lunch in a park or garden. You can even 'eat on the run'.
- Get Off Your Feet and Eat visits eight to 12 outlets. Not only for serious shoppers, but those who enjoy great food. Stop for a two-course meal, wine and coffee.
- Spend and Win takes you to six to eight of Melbourne's best bargain warehouses. Once the shopping is over, you visit Crown Casino for lunch and receive some gambling vouchers. Who knows if luck is on your side, the day may cost you nothing!
- Your Bus, No Fuss. Book and pay for your own coach with Go Shop Around and do some retail damage at 10-12 outlets.
- Some of the tempting warehouses visited include Beaches, Shoes Direct, Leather Depot, Sweet Success and Holeproof.
Here are some tips which could make the day easier:
- As you will probably spend time trying on clothing, wear something comfortable which is easy to take off and pop back on.
- Take along body and foot measurements of family and friends. You might just see something perfect for them.
- Warehouses are pre-booked so be punctual and stick with your group.
- Think about keeping your money in a little bag you can wear around your neck. That will free your hands so you can check out the stock.
Around the warehouses of Melbourne.
Go Shop Around Tours has full-day fundraising shopping tours including lunch and a glass of wine. They cost $45 per person.
Virgin Blue has flights to Melbourne.
One-way fares from:
- Adelaide $89
- Sydney $112
- Brisbane $149
- Perth $229
- Darwin $299
There are limited seats which may not be available at peak times or on all flights. Fares are one-way on the Internet. An extra $15 will be charged for phone bookings. A credit card surcharge of an additional $2 per person per one way flight is applicable. Fares are correct at October 9, 2008 and are subject to change.
Prices correct at October 9, 2008.
For further information
Go Shop Around Tours
PO Box 11
Port Melbourne 3207
Ph: (03) 9647 9494
Ph: 136 789
Check out our celebrity Getaway blog or our photo gallery for more Getaway adventure pics.