Catriona shows us a very fun side of Tassie; and this favourite fun park is going off.
A visit to Penny Royal World is like stepping back into the 19th century. Its story is of Andrew Gatenby, an early pioneer of van Dieman's land, and his family. They arrived in 1823 and settled on land between Cressy and Ross on the Isis River, then known as Penny Royal Creek. They built their farmhouse and millhouse there.
Over the years the mill fell into disrepair and, rather than be demolished, the complex task of disassembling and relocating it to an old quarry in the centre of Launceston was carried out. The Penny Royal Gunpowder Mills provide the only complete set of working gunpowder mills in the world. Faithfully built, they depict colonial mills of the early 19th century. There are windmills, water mills, gunpowder mills and model boats.
Several times each day, the 10-gun sloop-of-war Sandpiper takes part in cannon-firing battles. Visitors are invited to join the crew and fire guns both on the ship and the fort.
During the day, the fully-restored No 16 tram runs from the Gunpowder Mills to the Penny Royal Watermill.
Amongst the gardens, lakes and waterfalls of the arsenal are the cannon foundry and furnaces, with two cannon boring mills and lathe.
A canal runs around the complex. Fourteen gunpowder barges carry passengers underground through the mills and foundry to the cavern and docks of the Powderkeg Restaurant.
Penny Royal Apartments are a short walk from the Cataract Gorge and Cliff Grounds. The one to four-bedroom apartments are fully self-contained, with well-appointed kitchens, televisions and large living areas.
Penny Royal Motel was built in 1825 on the banks of the Isis River. In 1972 it was transported to its present site and reassembled stone by numbered stone. It has old-world charm with modern-day comforts.