From a convict settlement to a thriving timber port - this is now a colonial B&B.
Southport, near Tasmania's southern tip, has quite a history for such a little fishing village. Like most of the southwest coast, Southport was first explored in 1792 by Admiral D'Entrecasteaux, who named it Baie des Moules (Mussel Bay).
Early in the 1800s, it was Tasmania's second-largest convict settlement. It was also the first safe haven for boats arriving from Europe and became a thriving whaling and sealing port, timber town and international port until WWI, after which it almost disappeared, existing on a little fruit growing. Today its industries are fishing and tourism.
In 1967, bushfires took out all except four houses. Jetty House, built in 1875, is one of the survivors.
Carl and Rosalind Wright own the 12-bedroom house. Rather than expand their family, they decided to turn Jetty House into a b&b. They live upstairs and guests have the downstairs level, which has four bedrooms.
All rooms have fireplaces, including one made of Huon pine with kangaroo, emu and Tasmanian tiger carvings. There are different themes in the rooms one is nautical, one forest, one garden and one is the white room.
Guests are treated with homemade brownies and afternoon tea and a cooked breakfast is provided. There is a games room and Jetty House welcomes children.
With sufficient notice, the Wrights can provide dinner, or evening meals can be obtained at the nearby tavern or in Dover.