If seafood is on the top of your list and you want to know the tricks about cooking it … come with us!
Sydney Seafood School is a purpose built teaching facility designed to educate the general public, commercial chefs, commercial cooks and seafood buyers and handlers in all aspects of seafood cookery and handling.
It was created by Sydney Fish Market to promote the wide variety of seafood available in NSW and to give Sydney's consumers the skills and knowledge to cook with new and different species.
Classes feature product that appears regularly on the auction floor and promote the full range of species available at Sydney Fish Market.
Sydney Seafood School boasts a diverse range of classes, from a course in the fundamentals of seafood cookery to courses specialising in your favourite ethnic cuisines. We will be doing the Seafood BBQ class which is extremely popular and particularly a good one for boys to get into.
Thai squid salad
- serves 6
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 medium red chilli, seeded and chopped
1 Lebanese cucumber, halved lengthwise and seeds removed
¼ cup chopped coriander
¼ cup chopped mint
2 green onions, chopped
2 teaspoons sesame seeds, toasted
2 tablespoons lemon juice, extra
1 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 teaspoon fish sauce
1 teaspoon palm sugar
- Clean and honeycomb squid on the inside.
- Place squid in a bowl with lemon juice, garlic and chilli, and marinate for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Slice cucumber into sticks.
- Make dressing by combining dressing ingredients. Set aside until needed.
- Heat BBQ plate, brush well with oil, and cook squid until white and tender (1 - 2 minutes).
- Place squid in a bowl and pour dressing over squid and mix well.
- When squid is cool, add cucumber, coriander, mint and green onions.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.
$115 per class. Other classes run throughout the week and start from $70
Please note prices are valid at time of filming.
Sydney Seafood School
Sydney Fish Markets Pyrmont
Ph: 02 9004 1111
Fax: 02 9004 1144
Open Saturdays or Sundays from 11am-3pm