Ranelagh House was built as a private hotel by a Melbourne investor in 1924. The English manor house is on the highest point of the 5.5 hectares and surrounded by landscaped grounds with native trees, statuary, fountains, sweeping lawns, pool, weir and creek. It is a significant building, standing as an example of the style and architecture of its time.
During WWII the house was a base for RAAF training and in 1946 was acquired by the Franciscan fathers, who used it for training and a seminary. During that time the beautiful stained glass windows were installed and the beauty of the gardens is a result of their hard work.
In 1972 the building again became a private venture and has been run as a guesthouse, function and conference venue ever since.
It can accommodate 100 people in its 46 rooms, 16 of which have ensuite facilities. All rooms have hot and cold running water.
The ground floor's gracious vestibule has a spacious lounge and dining room, perfect for lunch, dinner and Devonshire teas, a formal private dining room, conference area and ballroom/chapel. Deer, peacocks and other animals wander through the gardens.
Five log fireplaces provide warmth and ambience in the crisp Southern Highlands cooler months and in spring it all comes to life with bright, flowering bulbs. In fact, most of the year there are magnificent displays of nature's colours.
The surrounding towns of Berrima, Bowral, Bundanoon, Fitzroy Falls, Mittagong, Moss Vale and Sutton Forest are great places to wander, stop for something to eat and browse through the enticing little shops and galleries.