Getaway Fact sheets
You are here: ninemsn > Travel > Getaway > Fact sheets
Ben Dark
Ben Dark

Driving Overseas

Thursday, August 14, 2003
If you are going overseas and want to know about your license and driving rules, we have the answer.

Jennifer Hegarty wrote to us from Victoria saying she is about to head overseas for a couple of months and plans on hiring a car while she's there. She has asked us whether or not her Australian licence is valid overseas.

Well, yes it is valid, but in many countries you are also required to carry an international driving permit.

You can pick up one of these before you head off. Here is what you have to do.

Go to any office of your state or territory motoring club with your current driver's licence and one passport photo. Fill in the application and you will be handed a permit on the spot.

These are recognised worldwide and cost around $20.

For more information, you can contact the Australian Automobile Association on (02) 6247 7311 or visit their website Ask them about their great little handbook for motorists — it's full of tips for driving in different countries.

A few weeks ago we did a story about learning to drive a steam train in Victoria. We have been contacted by some train buffs who tell us you can also do it in Queensland at Kunkala near Ipswich. It's $220 for the day. To find out more, call Ted Hancox on (07) 3345 3740.

Related links


Brochure Search

Free electronic brochures with information, resources and holiday ideas for unique getaways.

Select a destination:
Sign up nowTo Receive the free Getaway newsletter