Getaway Fact sheets
You are here: ninemsn > Travel > Getaway > Fact sheets
US Green Card
US Green Card

US Green Cards

Thursday, July 17, 2003
Find out how to obtain a working visa for the United States — commonly known as a green card. John Evans has e-mailed us asking how he can work legally in the United States. He wants to know how to go about obtaining a working visa, more commonly known as a green card.

We did some homework and found that John's best chance of getting himself a work visa is through the Diversity Visa Lottery.

There are some guidelines you have to meet before you enter the lottery. You have to have been born in Australia and have a high school education or at least two years of work experience in a job which has required some training.

If you meet those conditions, you can apply to enter. It won't cost anything to apply and you can enter once every calendar year. Applications should be submitted in October.

Millions of people from all over the world apply for US work visas and there are only 50,000 issued each year, so the chances of getting one are low. Winners are selected randomly by computer and the lucky ones are notified between April and July the following year.

For an application form, call the US Visa Hotline on 1902 941 641 or go to

Rules for the 2005 lottery will be released in August this year.

Related links


Brochure Search

Free electronic brochures with information, resources and holiday ideas for unique getaways.

Select a destination:
Sign up nowTo Receive the free Getaway newsletter