Getaway Fact sheets
You are here: ninemsn > Travel > Getaway > Fact sheets
David updates his passport
David updates his passport

Passport update

Thursday, June 26, 2003
If you want to know about updating your passport for any reason what so ever - here you go!

People change over the years – things such as gaining or losing weight, growing facial hair, facial tattoos or going through sex-change might mean the need for a new passport.

Legally you don’t need a new passport until your current one expires, but it could be worth paying for a new one to avoid any potential hassles which could crop up if you and your passport photograph look like different people.

If you change your surname because of marriage or divorce, you can get a replacement passport issued free of charge.

Many countries require visitors to have at least six months’ validity remaining on your passport from the date you arrive or you could be refused entry. Check with your travel agent or the relevant embassy or consulate to cover yourself for each country you are visiting.

If your passport is lost or stolen in Australia, call 13 12 32 as soon as you can. They have forms which allow you to officially report the loss and apply for a replacement passport.

If your passport is lost or stolen outside Australia, you must immediately report the loss to the nearest Australian consular or diplomatic mission.

Related links


Brochure Search

Free electronic brochures with information, resources and holiday ideas for unique getaways.

Select a destination:
Sign up nowTo Receive the free Getaway newsletter