Getaway Fact sheets
You are here: ninemsn > Travel > Getaway > Fact sheets
David talks about stolen goods
David talks about stolen goods

Stolen Goods

Thursday, August 22, 2002
Get the lowdown on what to do before you go away in case of theft.

We have received a letter from Janine Chevins of Mooloolaba in Queensland. She was in South America recently and had the misfortune of having her camera stolen. She wants to know if there is any way of being compensated for the loss — she did have travel insurance but discovered after the event that it wasn't sufficient to cover the theft of her camera.

Generally insurance companies will only pay out if you follow the golden rules:
  • Always get an official written report from a local authority or tour guide outlining all circumstances surrounding the theft.
  • Keep the original purchase receipt, manual or warranty card of the stolen good.
  • Lodge your claim soon after returning home. Some policies state this must be done within 30 days.

    If, like Janine, the insurance company won't pay but you still believe you have a legitimate case, you can lodge a complaint with the insurance watchdog, the IEC.

    Another tip — if you are travelling with anything expensive, you might want to take out additional cover so you don't get caught short by the payout figure on a basic policy.

    IEC (Insurance Enquiries and Complaints Ltd.), Ph: 1300 363 683

  • Related links


    Brochure Search

    Free electronic brochures with information, resources and holiday ideas for unique getaways.

    Select a destination:
    Sign up nowTo Receive the free Getaway newsletter