Getaway Fact sheets
You are here: ninemsn > Travel > Getaway > Fact sheets
David discusses mobiles.
David discusses mobiles.

Mobile Phones o/s

Thursday, April 25, 2002
Thinking of packing your mobile for your next overseas jaunt? Here are some tips.

Joy McFarlane from Hobart is going on an overseas holiday and has e-mailed us asking for tips about taking her mobile phone with her.

The first thing Joy should do is contact her service provider before leaving home to establish if it is possible to use the phone outside of Australia. If you can, you will be able to retain your own number, but calls can become very expensive, especially because you also have to pay when someone calls you.

If you are planning to make local calls while you are away, generally a cheaper option is to take your handset overseas and buy or hire a local SIM card when you arrive. Your provider will be able to tell you if your handset is compatible with foreign SIM cards.

Chances are you won't have much luck in Japan, the United States and Canada, but you can rent a hand piece and compatible SIM card at the airport before you leave. They cost around $15 a day. Vodafone Rental are located at most international airports in Australia. Ph:1300 365 360.

A good way to save some money is to use SMS text messages — they cost around 20-30 cents a go.

Another option is to have calls diverted to a paging service, but if you don't want to be contactable 24 hours a day, you can set up an e-mail account. If you aren't too sure how to do this, you will find a step-by-step guide on our website.

Another option — and you will need to arrange this before you leave home — is to have your calls diverted to your mobile's paging service. You choose how and if you respond.

Related links


Brochure Search

Free electronic brochures with information, resources and holiday ideas for unique getaways.

Select a destination:
Sign up nowTo Receive the free Getaway newsletter